Occasional Musings

...for when the "DOZ" emerge with inspiration

Jumper


I just saw "Jumper" which was just released on dvd. I was so looking forward to seeing this, but alas the actual experience was very much a let down. It had so much potential, and it was perhaps because of my heightened expectations that I failed to really appreciate the movie for what it was.

My main problem with the movie was the lead actor (and I use the term very loosely), Hayden Christensen. I've really grown to hate this guy. I don't know if he's selected for the roles he gets because he's good at playing that "type" of character, or if he brings that aspect to all the characters he portrays. All I could think of was how annoying he was. He's such a whinny brat ...very much like a child having a temper tantrum. He wants what he wants, when he wants it, without any awareness (or concern) for the consequence to others. Then when he fucks up, he say, "I'm sorry, I didn't know...". As if that make everything all right. In this particular movie, even though I knew it wasn't going to play out that way, I kept rooting for him to get killed ...and that Jamie Bell's character (Griffin) would carry on as the lead.

I would attribute my dislike of the character to the way the part was written, but he, Christensen, continues to play the same character, so I'm inclined to think it "is" him. He played the same annoying creep as he did in "Shattered Glass" and "Star Wars III / ...Sith", but at least in those movies, he got his comeuppance. In this movie, he emerges unscathed as the hero ...and that really pissed me off. If it weren't for that, I might have come away with a higher regard for the movie.

The story is set up to be continued in possible future sequels, but since it's not part of a trilogy, per se, it fails to stand on it own ...too many unanswered questions, too many plot holes, not enough backstory. I'm not at all looking forward to any of these sequels, although I may read the book on which the movie was based. Problem is, I can't shake the image of Christensen playing the lead, and I'll probably continue to "see" him in my minds eye as / if I read the book.

0 Comment(s):


Post a Comment

<< Home